Patchwork Sashiko Hexies
Class Code: PH005
Registered for my Patchwork Sashiko Hexies workshop at Quiltcon 2024? This is the place for you! Here I will be adding more information about the class as we get closer to the big event.
What do I buy? What do I bring?
You must buy:
- Kit purchased by clicking the button below. Kit includes: Patchwork Sashiko Kit which includes patchwork pieces, muslin, interfacing, thread and needles. EPP templates and additional coordinating fabric pieces.
***IMPORTANT: ALL QUILTCON KITS + SUPPLIES PURCHASED WILL BE BROUGHT TO QUILTCON AND NOT SHIPPED AHEAD OF TIME***
Required Supplies not included in Kit:
- (3) silicone needle pullers to fit on your thumb, pointer finger and middle finger: visit the additional website address to see a photo. These are not rubber thimbles. Available in Diana's Etsy shop here.
- Sewing thread that contrasts with red: this will be used to hand baste our patchwork and a contrasting thread will be easier to see.
- Scissors or snips: Remember that TSA allows scissors with a blade length of 4” or less in your carry-on! - shared scissors will also be provided.
- Seam Ripper
- Lots of straight pins with a ball end: Pins with a flat head tend to catch the thread more than ball heads as we’re hand basting.
- Fabric marking pen or pencil: Please visit the additional website address to see an example of the color palette we’ll be using in class. You want to bring a marking pen or pencil color that you can see well.
- Clear ruler approximately 9-12” in length and no more than 2” wide: We don’t need a large ruler for this class.
- Clover Embroidery Needle Threader: Threading the needles needed are different from a regular needle threader due to the orientation of the threading head. Available in Diana’s Etsy shop here.
- Needle for hand basting: You can use the needles Diana provides for handstitching for this purpose, but if you have a specific preference Diana suggests you bring it with you. Provided needles are crewel needles.
- Sewline Fabric Glue Pen: Diana typically folds over her patchwork sashiko hexie sides and irons, then removes the template. This is sufficient to keep the folds in place. There will be irons available in the classroom, however, there will not be one iron per person so there may be some waiting. If you want to work faster, Diana suggests bringing this glue pen as an alternative.
- Seam roller
- At least 6 different solid color or low volume quilting cotton weight fabrics that coordinate with a red patchwork. Diana is providing these fabrics in the kit, but you are welcome to bring your own. The photo above represents the color palette of the patchwork. Each piece should be L 6” x W 5” minimum for 1 hexie. If you want more than one hexie per color, multiply the length (6”) by the number of hexies you want to make.